After having some health issues, I decided to do my best and reduce exposure to chemicals. Makeup was one of those things that I never cared that much about until after undergrad. For some reason finding Green Beauty products made me super passionate about makeup and now I absolutely LOVE it. I’ve kinda become obsessed with trying new products and my hubs thinks it’s a problem hehe. Just a little background, the FDA actually doesn’t approve makeup and I’m not sure if I would trust their opinion if they did (money is always involved). That’s why you even see people like the Kardashians advocating for safer make up. For me the products I put on my skin have become as important as the food I eat. Non-toxic and organic living research is fairly new. That just means we…you and me…ARE the research to determine what ingredients can or will cause harm. Ingredients such as BHA, BHT, DBP, Parabens, Triclosan, PEG, Fragrance, and so on have been linked to hormone and thyroid disruption and cancer, which is the main reason I personally decided to opt for non-toxic makeup. Trust me, I believe in balance in ALL things. This includes makeup, so I am going to throw in a few things from the toxic world that I still love.
I have some tips below on how to transition to Green Beauty! It’s a slow transition but worth it. There are tons of products out there that label themselves “vegan” or “non toxic”, but aren’t. On the other hand, some products (like NYX HD translucent finishing powder) aren’t labeled non-toxic but technically are. You see the confusion here? It’s a complete mess, but there are several companies I go to for makeup purchases (The Organic Bunny, Target, & Amazon).. There’s also apps like Think Dirty and the EWG that help a ton!
I want to give you guys a round up of my favorites because I have tried a lot of natural products that suck. Most items are on Amazon, Target, Sephora, or Nordstrom. Here we go!
Tips on Transitioning to Non Toxic:
- Start Slow
Makeup in general gets EXPENSIVE. The first time I transitioned to “non toxic” makeup, I spent $300 on makeup that didn’t work for me. Look around, ask questions, and find people you trust to help you make the switch!
- Start with Foundation
Our skin is a major absorber, so the first thing I would transition is my primer and foundation! After foundation, move to the eyes, lips, then brows and whatever highlighter or blush you’re wanting to use.
- Buy a Few Things Every Paycheck
Try buying a few things every other week or once a month. This will make the process way less stressful and kind of fun! It gives you something to look forward to. And if you don’t have $600 laying around to blow at once on transitioning everything in your house to non-toxic, this is the best route to take.
- Ask for Gift Cards or Even Items as a Gift!
No lie, I keep a note section on my phone of things like makeup, hair stuff, and random things I “could use” or “want”. When it comes birthday or Christmas time, I pass it over to friends and family and to give them an idea of things I’d like! Makeup makes the best stocking stuffers, right?! ;). It also makes that time of a year wayyyy easier on our babes, haha!
- Look for Non-Toxic Brushes at Target!
I’ve found a ton of bamboo brushes at TJs for way cheaper than I could get online. Not only that, they also have a ton of non-toxic products like deodorant, toothpaste, and other random goodies!
- Lily Lolo Mascara or 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara: Black Tea: These are all right, but personally don’t last long enough for me and get expensive because I have to buy more frequently. See my mascara picks at the very end.
- Beauty Counter Nudes Palette: The ONLY product I like from BC. It’s my favorite eye shadow palette I own and I barely use anything else now!
- Zuii Organic Eye Shadow Palette: Natural & Fresh are my favorite color palettes! One of the best natural eye shadows I’ve tried.
- Jane Iredale Eye Shadow: On Amazon! I love the Triple Cognac, Brown Sugar, and Sundown.
- Zuzu Luxe Liquid Liner In Raven (black): Absolutely love this stuff! Have used for the last 2 years.
- Pacifica Black Pencil Eye Liner: Pencil eye liner that I use! Love!
- W3ll People Black Liquid Eye Liner: I tried this because I stumbled upon it at Target one day and I really like it! It’s the one I’m currently using and I’ve had it about 3 months.
- NYX Wonder Pencil in Light. This is $3 at Target, but can also buy at Ulta! I line my bottom lash line with this and it makes my eyes POP. You can use it for a million other things too. Rated a 1 on the EWG.
- Crunchi Foundation: Another great foundation with a matte finish! Once I got my skincare right, I LOVED this foundation. Never using anything else. I go between 2 & 2.5 depending on my tan.
- Jane Iredale Glow Time in BB5: Love this for drier skin! You also don’t need to use primer with it. Glowy finish. You can also use a little for a light coverage.
- Suntegrity SPF30 Tinted Moisturizer: I use this when I’m going hiking or when I’ll be outside all day!
- 100% Pure Matte Foundation
- NYX HD Translucent Finishing Powder: $7 at Target or Amazon and $10 at Ulta or everywhere else! I use this daily to set my concealer on top of my eyes or under as well as to absorb any excess oil.
- Zuzu Luxe Face Primer: Comes in green for anti-blotchiness (redness and blemishes), purple for anti-yellow, pink for anti-dullness, yellow for anti-redness (bruises, under-eye circles, mild red tones), and clear for universal. I personally use the clear and occasionally a few drops of the green in places I have redness.
- Vapour Stick Luminous Foundation: I use this sole for contouring. I use 135. I don’t like it as a complete foundation.
- Hynt Concealer: Best I have EVER used! I use DC02 Light.
Blush, Bronzer, Highlighter:
- RMS Illuminator Palette: Great for a dewy, glowy highlight. You can buy it at Sephora or Nordstrom. It lasts forever and is my favorite Green Beauty highlighter. Way more shimmery than the photo looks on Sephora. I have two photos of it above!
- Mineral Fusion Blush in Pale: This is probably the blush I use most!
- Lily Lolo Bronzer: Favorite is Miami Beach.
- Lily Lolo Blush: I use Tickled Pink
- Lily Lolo Illuminator: More of a matte, shimmery finish. Very subtle. I use champagne.
- EcoBrow: I use Marilyn! Used this for over 2 years :).
- Zuzu Luxe Brow Pencil: I use flax! Sold at Target, and way cheaper there.
Other items I LOVE that aren’t the “Greenest”:
I truly do strive to use natural ingredients and opt for cruelty free companies. But that’s not always possible and it gets super expensive. I’ve had a hard time mascara that works for me and spending $20-$30 on mascara every few weeks is a bit ridiculous, so I wanted to share some safer alternatives with you guys that are from mainstream brands.
- Mascara: Maybelline Colossal (tried-and-true), Maybelline Falsies (takes some getting used to but now I adore it), Maybelline Lash Sensational. All of these are rated a 3. Color does matter though! For instance “blackest black” is rated higher than “very black”, so I stick with the “very black”. I’ve linked the exact ones I use! All links are from Target, which is MUCH cheaper than drugstore on mascara, plus if you have the Target card you always get free shipping.
- Tarte Skin Twinkle Lighting Palette Highlighting Quad: Got it at Sephora! Best freakin highlighter on the planet. Highlighter is always my last step and I have several layers blocking it from direct absorption (foundation, concealer, primer, skincare) so I’m not worried about it. This is my FAVORITE and it’s never made my skin breakout.
- Stila Glitter On the Go Eye Shadow Sticks: Also at Sephora, but they’re hardly ever in stock at the actual store. I am obsessed with these and always use them for date night or when I want super glistening eyes. Stila is forumlated without parabens, sulfates, & phthalates. I know that doesn’t mean it’s green, but the other ingredients on this aren’t bad either and it could be worse. Again, for me it’s all about balance.
- Smashbox Photo Finish Primer: This is the best primer I have ever used. It’s only rated a 3 on the EWG. You can get it at Sephora or Ulta.
Hope this helps and don’t hesitate to ask me questions! For the makeup brushes I use and other beauty-must haves click HERE.