Apple and cinnamon is a flavor combo that never gets old. I went to bed dreaming about these…I know I’m not the only one that thinks about what they’re going to eat for breakfast before falling asleep ;). Mmmm, I topped the oats off with a little coconut whipped cream and Wild Friend’s Gingerbread peanut butter and it was just what I needed.
I wanted to talk about “clean” eating for a second…When we think about eating clean, a lot of times we forget about the pesticides and chemicals that are in our food. I try to buy everything organic, but I always buy organic oats (they are pretty cheap at Trader Joe’s!) and organic apples. Apples are actually #2 on the Dirty Dozen list! Oooo and local doesn’t mean organic. I always ask about pesticides if I’m at the farmer’s market. Technically, all fruits and vegetables are originally “local”. I’m still learning new things about “clean” living. I’ll never be perfect, but my goal is to strive to live as non-toxic of a life as I can ♡.
Hope you guys had a great Wednesday!
XOXO- ♡ Kait
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup of oats (I used organic quick oats)
- 2 cup water
- 1 to 2 tbsp. of coconut palm sugar, to taste (or use 2-3 tbsp. honey)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 tbsp. ghee or coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- In a medium saucepan, melt the ghee or coconut oil on medium-low heat. Add the apples and sprinkle in the cinnamon and salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until the apples are softened.
- Pour in the water, turn the heat up to high, and bring to a low boil. Add the oats and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 2-5 minutes, or until liquid is almost absorbed. Cooking time will depend on whether you used quick oats or rolled oats. Stir in the sweetener.
- Divide the oatmeal between two bowls and top with more cinnamon, nut butter, or a splash of almond milk!