Cranberry relish, cranberry muffins, cranberry scones, and cranberry cocktails. Definitely not my favorite Holiday goodies, but I will admit- it makes for a colorful and fresh table. For those of us that aren’t a huge fan of cranberry relish, I set out to create a cranberry dish we actually do like! Cran-Applesauce. Not only are cranberries full of vitamin C and fiber, but they are also packed with antioxidants. It’s also a great way to get kiddos of all ages…including my husband to eat their real fruits 😉 – especially during a season full of sugary drinks, pies, & other homemade goodies.
XOXO- ♡ Kait
Makes 5 cups or 10 servings
- 10 medium organic apples (Honey Crisp, Fuji, or Golden Delicious are best!)
- 1 cup whole, fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup of Grade A maple syrup (cranberries are super tart, so sweeten to taste)
- 2 tsp. lemon juice or 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
Tip: if you have pears & not enough apples, use them too! 🙂
- Peel, core, and cube the apples-feel free to use an apple slicer.
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker, give it a nice stir, and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Use a potato masher to make sure there are no large apple chunks. If you don’t like chunky applesauce, simply transfer the cran-applesauce into a blender. Blend until smooth.